Saturday, October 21, 2006

On the road

It's quite strange, sitting in front of a Mac (not very accustomed to using a Mac), in a foreign university library, checking my mails, typing. (Internet usage here is free!!! And open to everyone! The security man at the entrance was really sweet. After looking at my passport photo, he asked me if I ever thought of wearing contact lenses -I was wearing my glasses. I said I don't really have to cos' my degree's really light and asked him why he asked that. He said I'm beautiful without them on. The conversation then went on for a bit -me, jokingly: does that mean I don't look as nice with them on- but I won't bore you guys. Ha. Anyhow, it was really nice. :D)
The university - Savannah College of Art & Design seems to be quite a renowned one. A lot of Americans come from other parts of the country to do arts here. It's hardly surprising then that this little picturesque city is teeming with arts students. (Sidetrack: I was shopping for fruits in a supermarket here when a guy with an SLR and a shopping cart asked me if he could take a photo of me picking out my apples. So funny. Hee.)

I arrived yesterday late afternoon on a 5-hour greyhound bus trip and most of the excitement I felt when I had decided to come here had gone with the wind. I hadn't planned to come here alone. An American friend who was supposed to meet up with me in Atlanta backed out the last minute. And since I didn't want to stay in Atlanta longer (my flight to London is not till Sunday), especially not after my colleagues have all left to go to various other interesting cities in the US, a decision was made to go on a short trip on my own. When I first read the email from that 'faithful' friend that he can't make it, I freaked out a little. Thankfully a couple of new friends (they are friends of Christian's friend. We all met up at the conference. More on that later eh.) chatted with me and made me feel better. One of them (Orlando, a Brit) was really helpful and checked out options online with me and suggested I look in his US guide about where to go. In the end I decided Savannah's a good choice. So here I am.

As the sun went down on me last night, I felt overwhelming homesick. Fortunately, I found a payphone in the supermarket near the run-down (over-priced) pensione (so the weird owner calls it) I'm staying in and rang home. It was really tough trying to keep myself from crying when I heard my parents' and sis's voices. I've really missed them!!! Also missing my friends. I was quite ready to go home right then. I suppose I'm not very good with being alone.

Felt better after speaking to them. Bought some fruits, milk and cereal at the supermarket for my dinner and went back to my room. There was a lady from Switzerland also staying at the pensione and I asked her about her time in Savannah. She was really helpful and nice. Told me some places I should visit.

So this morning, I readied myself for some serious walking and headed out. Beautiful weather, unexpectedly warm (for autumn) but not as humid as Singapore. I managed to see quite a bit. The buildings here are soooo pretty! Am now pooped. I wish I could write in more detail but I really should get back to my room (which, by the way is miles away to walk) cos' I've been told that it's not very safe at night. So good night and pray for me to get back without harm.
About Ping

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

0 comments :