Tuesday, July 10, 2007

You f*cking Singaporeans!!!

Was my very first thought when I missed my train by about 2 seconds yesterday evening. I know I probably shouldn't be complaining about such a small matter, but hell, this is my space where I let loose (i.e. whine, bitch and occasionally, curse) so that's just what I'll do.

When will they ever get into their thick, idiotic skulls that in a civilised society, people stand on one side of the escalator (in Singapore's case, the left side) so that others who are in a rush/do not appreciate standing still on a slow-moving escalator could then easily walk past on the right??? No, they have to stand in a zig-zag manner so that it's impossible to overtake. This is not the first time I've felt frustrated by how far behind the rest of the developed world Singapore is in the domain of etiquette/social graces.

Last night, it made the all difference between my getting into a near-empty train and waiting 10 minutes for an extremely crowded one. I was hungry and tired after gym and all I could think of was to get home, have my dinner and rest. 2 seconds, that was it. If people had been considerate enough to leave space for others to pass (like everywhere else in Europe) I would have been able to make the earlier train, sit down and nap till I reach my station.

I don't carry much hope of seeing this situation improve in my lifetime. Maybe it'll happen if the government come up with a campaign for it or fine people who stand on the wrong side of the escalator. Then maybe Singaporeans will learn.
About Ping

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

uhm babe they already have a campaign for it - the Keep Left campaign. :p it was alll over the train stations a while back.

worse are the frikking numbskulls who enter the bus and crowd in front without moving to the back.
the other day i was SO ANGRY AND IRRITATED with the sch girls on the bus bcos sooo many working adults were trying to get on too, with some old pple some more that i finally lost my cool and said "CAN THE GIRLS AT THE BACK ACTUALLY MOVE IN A BIT MORE SO THAT THE POOR OLD MEN CAN GET ONTO THE BUS TOO? AND THERE ARE SO MANY OF US STANDING HERE AND THERE'S SO MUCH SPACE AT THE BACK. MOVE IN!!"

and after some alarmed shuffling, there was moreeee than enough space for the rest of us to get on.
And then i realised i'd used my Teacher Voice.
HAHA.
but seriously, even pple in uni were doing the same stupid thing, bloody hell.

Si1vara said...

Yah and I especially hate those who crowd in front of the door at the stop so you have to push through them to get OUT of the train. Daryl has used his loud voice to good effect a few times in these situations. Urgh.

Ping said...

anantya: oh they did? seems like it hasn't worked then... no one would care to follow until it actually causes them monetary losses... yah, and the not moving into the back of buses and trains thingy. I can't remember the number of times I've missed a bus or train just cos people refuse to move in. sigh.

si1vara: Totally agree, babe! Good thing u have Daryl to shout for u. :) I can just picture him doing that... I've been following ur blog. Sounds like u're having fun. ^_^ Miss ya, sweetie. Take care! looking forward to having u back! :D

myztika said...

just say excuse me. if they pretend not to hear you, then u can start shoving them. that's what i normally do.

sadly enough, it's not instinctive of these pple to be more considerate, despite the countless campaigns. sometimes u just need to say it to their faces, they'll usually be embarrassed enough to give way.

anyway babe, it's not always the singaporeans. in my part of singapore, i've dealt with all kinds of nationalities in the buses and the mrts. sometimes, it's the singaporeans who are the more enlightened ones.

think that it might have to do with the 'ME, ME, ME FIRST' mentality. appears that not only singaporeans are afflicted with it. europeans are more laid-back, and possibly more courteous (or at least, the men try to appear gentlemanly, unlike some of our singaporean boys). but i've met exceptions. *shrugs*

Ping said...

I do, I do say excuse me. But they usually ignore me (either they were too deaf to hear me or pretend not to hear perhaps) and ya, that's when I start to try to push my way through. Then people tut at me! They have the cheek to tut!!! But ya, u're right, there are a lot of other nationalities. The PRCs for example are probably abundant here. And u're also right in that there're exceptions, both here and in Europe.

Si1vara said...

You know what I'm gonna miss when I leave here? Everyone holding the door open for whoever is behind. I find that small action so sweet and so far every single person going through a door before me has done it. :)

Ping said...

YES babe!!! I totally understand that!!! It's so nice isn't it?? I remember when it 1st happened to me in Paris, I was so surprised! And u're right, almost everyone (like 99.5%) does it! Some people even hold it for you even if you still some ways behind. When I was there I naturally did that too. And people smile and say 'Thank you' when they get through then they hold it for the person behind them. In Singapore you'd be lucky to get a reluctantly muttered 'thanks'. I can't remember the number of times I've held the door open for people who just walk through without so much as a glance at me like it's only right for me to hold the door open for them! O_o