Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Never too old

to learn something new...

Even though it might prove harder for our old(er) brains to learn new things, I am glad it is not impossible...

After much cajoling from friends, I joined them and tried my hand at surfing in a few-hours-long beginner's class in Florianópolis, Brazil. It proved not to be as scary as I had imagined it to be and I had immense fun, even if I barely made it to stand up (maybe just once for a second). The surf instructor was really nice (and such a hunk! :p) and so patient with us. :) Out of the 4 of us, only 1 had the touch and he did really well in getting up on the surfboard consistently after just a couple of tries. The rest of us were less talented and all we did was falling into the water (in all funny ways)! haha... :D

A few weekends ago, I went skiing in the Italian Alps (Valle d'Aosta) with a good old neighbour and I think I improved a little compared to last year, when I went skiing for the first time in my life. Skiing proved to be scarier than surfing for me, and after falling a few times, I had to overcome the gnawing fear and face going down the slopes. When I first looked down the steep (to me) slope, I was saying, 'I can't do this!!!' But I had refused to give up and take off my skis to walk down so I forced myself to swallow that dry lump of fear in my throat, and I made it down the slopes! After that, it proved to be quite enjoyable too! :)

Over the last days, I decided I have to do something to improve my skills in order to be able to get a job outside of research and I found the MOOCs, free online learning courses from various big universities all over the world. So, instead of mindlessly watching dramas/comedies, I could put my time in the evenings to better use. I also pulled out my old German textbooks from the dusty box and aim to brush up on my languages. Let's hope I will follow through with these (for now) enthusiastic endeavours and that they'll prove to be useful.

I've started with the whole application process again since I've been back from the holidays. This time, I've decided not to get (too) demoralised from the tons of rejections/no-replies that I will undoubtedly continue to receive and to look at my future with more optimism, more hope. I mean, I am not THAT old yet right? And as people say, it's all a matter of timing... :)
About Ping

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

0 comments :