Friday, May 22, 2009

Because sleep seems to be eluding me...

Lately I found myself wondering how life was before the advent of emails, blogs, online social networks, video streaming, forums, chat portals, wiki... you know, the worldwideweb. How did I keep in touch with friends and family? What did I do with my free time? How did I entertain myself?
Then I faintly recall writing snail mails, keeping a diary (hard-copy), hogging the house phone, watching tv, looking things up in dictionaries, enclycopedias... Ha, those were the days eh?

Today's Pentecost and a public holiday in Germany, a few friends and I had planned to cycle to a nearby lake today but because of the rainy weather in the morning, that had to be dropped. Then when the sun looked like it decided to show its face in the afternoon, we made another plan to go to the campfire site we were at in winter to do a bbq later in the evening but as April's weather goes (The saying in German goes: 'April, April – der macht was er will'), dark stormy clouds started gathering and it started pouring so that was cancelled too. :(

The feta cheese we prepared for the grill (1 with olives, some light green paprika, garlic, herbs, pepper, olive oil, the other with onions, small cubes of smoked bacon, herbs. Were yummy!) was baked in the oven along with some bread for dinner and we watched some slamdunk and 'Big bang theory' online.

I managed to study a little, napped, and lazed around for the most part (learnt how to make a pizza base; that's for tomorrow's dinner). It was nice doing nothing for a day. Even though I had really looked forward to going outside. Maybe Sat, the weather forcast looks promising. *crosses fingers*

But just now as I was browsing through Facebook and saw the lovely pictures some ex-colleagues posted, I felt so far away from my old friends and home. It seemed as if people moved on and I'd been running on a treadmill, on the same spot. And that when I go back everything will be different and people would have forgotten me. :( I question whether I would have been better off if I'd never left the old life back there?

Although I know I should not be whinging because I have been blessed with meeting really nice people here and other than being totally shitty at studying, other things have been quite enjoyable.

But I cant help missing the place which I call home and the people who make it home. :(

I should try to find zhou gong, have a longish day in school tomorrow. Gute nacht.
About Ping

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Psst... just wanted to say I remember you. *hugs*

And I'm popping by Germany for a bit in July. Perhaps I can offer you a little taste of home? (well, can't do much about the dragon boat bit. Water from Singapore? Heh. Sorry for the corniness. =0p)

*hugs*

FK

Pong said...

Ha, you so popular, who will forget you?

Anonymous said...

hey i din think it is so difficult to forget u la...

chiu

Ping said...

FK: Really? U're coming to Germany?? Where? For conference? So good if it is, free holiday! Ya, can bring me Kallang water!... haha. Let me know when you'll be here. I have exams till 24 July and my sis and cousin arrive on the 27th.
*hugs back* Say hi to the cognition team for me!

oinkoink: haha... I wish that were true.

Chiu: U din think it's so difficult to forget me that means it's easy lah? :'( I love your pics on FB. And your photos of the team in Thailand made me miss you guys! Say hi to the team for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey love,

Yup, a conference in Vienna.That is somewhere in mid July. But I'll be in Berlin till the 26th of July (come come!) and then to Munich. Flying off from Munich on the 27th. (in time to leave you with your cousin and sis! =0p)

It'll be great to see you. With Kallang water in tow.=0p

And trust me, all of us in cognition (and the whole company) remembers you!

*hugs* Hope you are feeling better.

FK

Anonymous said...

im confusing myself.. let me rephrase that.. it not easy to forget u...