Thursday, March 29, 2007

I'm feeling better now, thanks!

It's been some time. There have been a few interesting things but because of everything else that's been bogging me, I find myself unable to write.

I had wanted to talk about the past weekend.

About meeting up with a girlfriend on Friday and chatting the evening away over red wine.

About how I spent all day Sat lazing at home and watching all of Season 1 of the Jap drama, Hana Yori Dango on the laptop. I like it very much!!! The girls are all very pretty. And while the guys didn't strike me as cute (read: disappointed) at first glance, they seem to grow on you after a while. ^_^ For a break, I went for a quick swim in the late afternoon.

About Sunday being domestic day. Spent it baking at friends' place. We made some Garibaldi Biscuits (otherwise known as Dead fly biscuits. What an appetising name hor? It's cos' the blackcurrents in them are chopped up before being added to the dough which make them look like squashed flies. haha.) and a nice moist Farmhouse fruit cake. I've never liked fruit cakes. (You know, the kind with dried fruits such as raisins, glaced cherries etc. in them. Not fresh ones.) They tend to be quite dry and too sweet. But this one we made changed my mind about them. It smelled beautifully of cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices in it. (I took a couple of photos of the end products. Promise to load it up here later.)


While waiting for the cake to be done in the oven, I decided my skin could do with some 'baking' too. The weather was terrific so I went to the pool. Think I only got a little bit darker. (Seems like the afternoon sun can be rather hot but not very effective for tanning.)
Back at my friends', I proceeded to cook dinner for them. Some simple Chinese homely fare. Pespiring away as I cooked, I was worried it would not taste very good. Thank God all came out ok. We finished everything except the rice. (which the angmoh husband is going to use to cook fried rice the next day. I was so surprised when he said he planned to make fried rice!!! They said they learnt it when they went to Thailand a few years ago.)

I'm so glad it's Thurs.

It's getting to me. Some days are so difficult to get through. A few friends have been lovely, offering support, comfort and words of encouragement without me asking for them. And as I looked at my MSN browser, I realised they were almost all guys (except for one babe, Anantya). Chiu waited to take lunch with me yesterday cos' he thought I could do with the company. I take my lunch at my desk everyday cos' usually by time I can leave the lab, the rest have come back from their lunch break.
It's surprising how thoughtful my guy friends are. (Need to first point out here that they're mostly long-time, close friends and none of them are the least bit interested in me in the unplatonic way.)

I know I'm not the only person unhappy with their work. Most people have similar complaints; too routine, sian, no challenge etc. Mine's like being stuck in Groundhog day. A 9-hour day's schedule (almost right down to the minute) = the exact actions (inject rats, test chambers, put rats in, push start, take rats out at the end and repeat process at least 14 times) x 5 (a week) x 4 (a month) x 12 (a year - how long I've been in this company) + all alone in experimental room + not much brain function required. That's my equation. I shit you not. The best part is, my experiments don't seem to be working. And chances of succeeding are pathetically low.

It's driving me mad. Close to tears at times. I've started looking for other pastures. Have also spoken to my supervisor about it. She's been really understanding and is keen to find ways we can get around this so I don't have to quit. There's some hope yet.

I got to run now. Thanks for listening to me.
About Ping

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Cheer up love, think most of us are going through the same thing, the number of hours without any sight and sign of another human...

Hang in there. I am just a few (rather thin) walls away... =0P. Though you don't see me (thankfully, chances are I am scowling at my rats for not finding the platform), I'm here.

FK

Ping said...

Thanks dear! :) I'm trying. I know probably everyone in our team feels like that. And I think I must seem like a big whiner sometimes. (That's why it's not such a good idea for colleagues to know my blog. haha) But this is the only place I can let it all out. so, ya, I'm letting it out. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Nah, everyone is entitled to a good whine... =0> and yes, I agree, lets not let that many of our colleagues know the existence of our blogs...

>.<

FK

myztika said...

aww babe.. cheer up!!! *hugs*