Tuesday, January 03, 2006

In with the New...

Tried to sit my brain down to a journal article on my first day since I had nothing much to do (boss still on holiday) but it seems like dear grey matter is quite reluctant to function properly after the break. :p Kept having to read the same sentence many times over to get the gist of it. After some minutes of doing that I gave up and turned my attention to the computer. Hee. Anyway most people still seemed to be in a holiday mood.

Didn't sleep well last night. Might have been nerves about first day or it might just be that late phone call I made. Thankfully, my morning passed pretty quickly. Felt a bit self-conscious when I came in but after some small talk, found myself relaxing a bit. Seemed like most are quite nice. Almost half of them are English. (Luckily there are no 'cheena' people!!! as yet. I hope. not. ever.) There's even a buddy system here. And my buddy is a lady who has the same Chinese first name as me. Haha. She has been nice. (Someone provide me with another adjective for nice!!)

Went to visit the animal facility in the morning. It's very much bigger than in my previous company cos' this place provides for all the companies and institutes here. A very bothersome procedure to get in... Must change out of my clothes into a set of red scrubs. (pretty cool!!! When I looked at myself in the toilet mirror, I was imagining myself as an intern/doctor in a hospital. Bwahaha...) Then go through this, wear that, wear something else over that... Geehz...
The rats are tame compared to the ones I used to handle. Thank God! And, they look cute too, white with patches of black. The senior scientist who brought me in let me handle the rats a little. (illegally, cos' I'm not supposed to handle animals till after I've gone through a course.) But I haven't been doing nothing the past year eh? He said I did pretty well at handling them. In behavioural studies it is important to make sure we make them feel as comfortable as possible, he said.

A very surprising thing he told me was, if one visits the zoo, one cannot go into the animal facility for 3 whole days!!! O_o
Later, he asked me if I have a pet. I told him, well, someone in the family keeps a little hamster, but it's not mine. At which he said, we are not allowed to have pets because we work with animals. *jaw drop*

Just came back from a demonstration of how to use our new video equipment and then watched a short old film of Wallace & Gromit. Cuuute! ^_^

And that concludes my day. I actually did get to learn a few new things today. Not too bad eh? :) Counting down to 530... or when people start going home, whichever is earlier... *grins*
About Ping

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

0 comments :